Respond to each question in ½ – 1 page per question. Total assignments should be 3-5 pages plus a title and reference page.
- What is meant by the notion that mental illness is a social construction? How does cross-cultural research suggest that psychopathology is universal rather than a social construction?
- Discuss two ways that an evolutionary perspective expands our understanding of psychopathology.
- Describe twin studies and adoption studies. Explain how each type of study contributes to our understanding of the genetic and environmental foundations of behavior.
- Explain how what is known about the brain bases of memory and the reward system, enhance psychopathologists’ understanding of mental illness. How do these neuroscientific insights encourage a dimensional approach to psychopathology, rather than the traditional categorical one?
- What processes and brain structures are involved in the processing of social information, and what do these processes tell us about the role of social skills in our lives?